Daniel A. Cotter
Insurance Regulatory, Complex Business Disputes and Counseling, and Corporate and Transactional, including employment law, insurance and reinsurance, corporate governance and compliance, and cyber and privacy
For more than 25 years, Dan Cotter has worked in the insurance industry or had clients in it through a variety of accounting, in-house and private practice experiences. Before joining Butler Rubin in 2015, Dan served as the Vice President, General Counsel & Secretary of Fidelity Life Association. His experience includes extensive transactional work as a buyer, seller and counsel; redomestications in numerous states, handling Form A filings, including hearings and/or exemptions in nearly 20 states; general regulatory and government relationships and filings in multiple jurisdictions; and market conduct, financial exam and fines and penalties experience. He also has extensive litigation and oversight experience.
Dan is a highly sought-after speaker on topics ranging from insurance to cyber security law and data protection. And in 2016, Dan earned his CIPP/US, a Certified Information Privacy Professional designation for the U.S. private-sector from the International Association of Privacy Professionals.
In addition, Dan assists corporations and not-for-profit entities in merger and acquisition transactions, review of cybersecurity insurance coverage and exposure, capital, lease and other financing transactions, employment and separation agreements, preparation of corporate, partnership and limited liability company documents, and other business and commercial transactions. He organizes companies, represents investors, advises senior executives as they join and leave companies, and counsels clients in disputes over control of their businesses. He also provides backup support to corporate law departments. The diversity of Dan’s background and experience allows him to provide sound advice and develop inventive solutions for his clients over a broad range of business and legal issues.
Throughout his career, he has had leadership roles in both the bar and legal institutions, having served most recently as President of the Chicago Bar Association. Dan is an Insurance Counsel Member of the Federation of Regulatory Counsel. He is also an adjunct professor at The John Marshall Law School.
As part of the Law Bulletin Publishing Group’s 2016 and 2017 surveys of the top lawyers in the state, Dan was designated a “Leading Lawyer” in Illinois in Insurance, Insurance Coverage and Reinsurance Law. In 2017, he was named a leader in business/corporate by Illinois Super Lawyers.
He began his legal career as an associate at Lord, Bissell & Brook (now Locke Lord) after working for many years as an accountant then paralegal at CNA Insurance in Chicago. Dan later returned to CNA as Director and Counsel. He also worked in legal capacities at Unitrin Services Company, Argo Group, Lindemann LLC and Korey Cotter Heather & Richardson.
- Advised Illinois Department of Insurance regarding first two insurance company demutualizations approved under the Illinois Insurance Code
- Represented buyer in a purchase of a California-domiciled insurer, assisted in redomestication as well
- Represented buyer in purchase of a Massachusetts-domiciled insurer
- Represented a multinational insurer on transaction involving a very complex merger involving numerous insurance departments, obtaining regulatory approvals or exemptions from all jurisdictions
- Represented a multinational insurer on acquisition of control of an Oklahoma-domiciled insurer
- Advised an insurer on an expansion and acquisition strategy
- Negotiated and obtained regulatory approval for a multinational insurer on acquisition of a New York-domiciled specialty insurer
- Conducted an internal investigation of alleged sexual harassment at a non-insurance related entity by a board member
John Marshall Board of Visitors
Edgebrook Public School, Local School Council Chair (2006-2013)
Monmouth College, Board of Trustees
The NAMMA Foundation
The LIFTS Fitness Foundation